THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1392832

Date first listed: 29-Apr-2004

Statutory Address: THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, 95, WARSTONE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 16:11:26.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RED LION PUBLIC HOUSE, 95, WARSTONE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05813 87665

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIRMINGHAM

997/0/10293 WARSTONE LANE 29-APR-04 95 Public House 'The Red Lion'

GV II Public House. Late C19 with late C20 internal remodelling. Rendered and painted red brick with painted stone dressings, ridge and gable chimneys and a slate roof covering. PLAN: Irregular L-shaped plan with stepped service range to west. EXTERIOR: 3 bay, 2 1/2 storey near-symmetrical front with wide 3-light display window to centre, the lights with semi-circular heads within a wide shallow- arched opening. To the left, a pair of semi-circular arch-headed doorways with painted keyblocks, the outer opening an entry to an enclosed passage, the other a former entry to a front bar. To the right, the main entrance to the public house. All doorways have moulded surrounds and overlights. Wide display fascia supported by deep brackets rising from corbels flanking the door and window openings. Fascia cornice with ball finials to ends. 3 upper floor windows with moulded, keyed and shouldered surrounds, and undivided sash frames. Upper floor with moulded and keyed sill band and shallow window surrounds, detailed as below, but now with 2- light C20 casement frames. INTERIOR: Bar interiors remodelled late C20, but with moulded cornices retained, and geometric patterned encaustic tile work to main entrance passage. HISTORY: A public house is shown on this site on the 1855 Piggot-Smith map. The present building appears on the 1887 Ordnance Survey map, suggesting a rebuilding or comprehensive remodelling between the 2 dates. A late C19 public house in the heart of a specialist manufacturing district, now considered to be of international interest. The exterior of the building is detailed in the same manner as many of the small domestic - scale manufactories in the surrounding area, but was quite clearly constructed as a public house.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 505873

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing