- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- METHODIST CHURCH, GROVE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393069.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 16:39:10.
- Statutory Address:
- METHODIST CHURCH, GROVE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 70788 81152
Reasons for Designation
Grove Street Methodist Church is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * The church retains a high quality of architectural and artistic embellishment in both the external and internal detail. * A notable church built by architects Bellamy and Hardy who are respected in the design of various types of public buildings many of which are listed. * The oval gallery is an architectural expression of distinctive worshipping practice. * Although the church has undergone some changes there has been minimal alteration to the original fabric or fittings.
888/0/10010 GROVE STREET 19-DEC-08 Methodist Church
II BUILDING: Church and meeting rooms of 1880 by Bellamy and Hardy.
MATERIALS: Red brick with stone dressings and a slate roof.
PLAN: Aligned north to south on a rectangular plan with a facade extended beyond the width of the main body of the building by corner bays which contain stairs. Its alignment reflects the absence of strict rules regarding orientation which allowed Methodist building design to take full advantage of its position between two main thoroughfares.
EXTERIOR: Of a classical design, the two storey church has a tripartite front elevation formed by a gabled centre flanked by square towers, each of which have balustraded parapets at roof level. There are coped and bracketed eaves in the gable apex and a date plaque upon which "Wesleyan 1880" is written in relief. The wide central bay is approached by steps to a double entrance articluated by stone columns, above which is a semi-circular fan light with geometric tracery. The glass doors are late C20 in date. Flanking the doorway are tall, narrow windows and above the openings are arched, stone hood mouldings and foliated keystones. The pattern of fenestration and decoration is mirrored on the first floor with a large central arched window with simple tracery, and tall, narrow windows on either side. The glazing comprises decorative leaded lights. The articulation of the façade implies an aisled plan-form but in fact the doors in the right and left bays provide access to stair wells leading to the galleried central hall.
The church has six window bays on the side elevations with stone string courses above and below the upper storey windows. There are decorative hood mouldings with keystones above the recesses of the ground floor windows, which have three-centred arches. The first floor windows are round arched with hood mouldings and matching keystones above. The original decorative stained glass windows survive and are of a simple, monochrome design.
INTERIOR: Inside, the vestibule has been divided from the main hall of the church by modern glass panelling and an open curved arcade to form a coffee lounge. Off the vestibule at each side are the wooden staircases leading to the gallery and main auditorium. The banister rails, balustrades, panelling and screens are all original and survive in very good condition.
The main hall is open and explicitly ornate with a painted coffered ceiling, similar to that of Retford Town Hall, also by Bellamy and Hardy. The oval shaped, galleried auditorium retains the majority of original fixtures and fittings including the pews. The curving gallery is supported on a series of columns each with ornate, painted scroll and foliate work to the heads. The intersecting arch motif on the balustrade at the front of the gallery is intact. At ground level the floor slopes down towards the railed pulpit which forms an obvious focal point to the auditorium. The organ pipes sit above the pulpit in the gallery. To the rear of the main hall are a series of offices, meeting rooms and kitchens. Parts of this area have been subdivided and the function of some areas changed. HISTORY: The church was built in 1880 to the designs of Bellamy and Hardy the Lincolnshire architects and is the second on the site. Its predecessor was built in 1822 but became too small for purpose. In 1958 Chapelgate Hall was built to the rear and since then various extensions have been added, including the building of the Albert Hall and caretakers accommodation. Improvements to the interior have also been made. In 1990 the vestibule was enlarged and enclosed to incorporate a coffee bar and glass entrance doors. The current organ was installed in 1913 and was a new instrument designed specifically for this church.
Reasons for Designation Decision:
Grove Street Methodist Church is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * The church retains a high quality of architectural and artistic embellishment in both the external and internal detail. * A notable church built by architects Bellamy and Hardy who are respected in the design of various types of public buildings many of which are listed. * The oval galleries are an architectural expression of distinctive worshipping practice. * Although the church has undergone some changes there has been minimal alteration to the original fabric or fittings.
Sources: Biggs, B. J. 1970 The story of the Methodists of Retford and District. SK7078881156
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Biggs, B J, The Story of the Methodists of Retford and District, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing