WAR MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393192
Date first listed:
18-Sep-2008
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, MIDDLE BROOK STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Jul-2020 at 06:34:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL IN THE CHURCHYARD OF HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, MIDDLE BROOK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48356 29749

Reasons for Designation

The War Memorial in the churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Winchester has been designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community. * It is a simple yet elegant memorial. * Although this memorial is relatively plain, the carving of both the wooden crucifixion and the stone base is of good quality.

Details

869/0/10110 MIDDLE BROOK STREET 18-SEP-08 War memorial in the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church

II A war memorial of wood and limestone commemorating those fallen in war in the period 1914-1918.

DESCRIPTION: The war memorial consists of a well carved wood crucifixion with INRI scroll and gable above, on the north side of the churchyard. The crucifixion is set into a lead socket, which in turn sits on a limestone base with incorporated shaft. The shaft bears the dates 1914 set above 1918, and to either side on the base are inscribed the names of the fallen. The foot of the base has a projecting kerb on which is inscribed the legend: 'TO THE TENDER AND LOVING HANDS OF THE ALL MERCIFUL SAVIOUR WE COMMEND THE SOULS OF OUR BRETHEREN WHO FROM THIS PARISH AND CONGREGATION RESPONDED TO THE CALL OF DUTY FOUGHT FOR THE FLAG AND DIED FOR THE COUNTRY'. The base is set on a plinth of concrete with a surround of concrete pavers. The Crucifixion and inscription face south west, and the other sides of the memorial have no decoration or inscriptions. The whole is about 3.5m high.

HISTORY: Nothing is known about the circumstances of the construction of this War Memorial as it is not recorded on the National Inventory of War Memorials. It commemorates those fallen in war in the period 1914 to 1918.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The War Memorial in the churchyard of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Winchester is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is an eloquent witness to the impact of tragic world events on this community. * It is a simple yet elegant memorial. * Although this memorial is relatively plain, the carving of both the wooden crucifixion and the base is of good quality.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
502439
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 6 December 2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/130152
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 July 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/72538

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].