KIRKBY WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393576
Date first listed:
24-Jul-2007
Statutory Address:
KIRKBY WAR MEMORIAL, OLD HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KIRKBY WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393576.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 04:47:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
KIRKBY WAR MEMORIAL, OLD HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Knowsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SJ4080198966

Reasons for Designation

Intricately carved cross war memorial dating to c.1920 (and restored in 2006) commemorating the men of Kirkby who lost their lives during the Great Wars (the names of those killed during WWII were added later) and erected with money raised by public subscription. The decorative cross finial surmounting the memorial incorporates foliage decoration and religious symbolism in the form of a carved depiction of the head of Jesus Christ with Christ's monogram (Chi Rho) on the reverse. With this unusual and striking design the war memorial is a notable and prominent feature within the churchyard of St Chad's Church and the wider community of Kirkby, and is of both special architectural and special historic interest in a national context.

Details



703/0/10004 OLD HALL LANE 24-JUL-07 KIRKBY WAR MEMORIAL

II First and Second World War memorial, c.1920.

MATERIALS: Red sandstone.

DESCRIPTION: Wide stepped octagonal plinth. Square 2-stepped base with inscriptions to each face. Front S face of upper part of base reads '1914 - 1919'. Lower part reads 'TO THE HONOUR OF THE MEN OF/ THIS PARISH WHO WENT FORTH IN/ THESE YEARS OF WAR TO FIGHT FOR GOD/ & KING FOR JUSTICE & FREEDOM/ & IN THANKFUL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THOSE WHO RETURNED NOT AGAIN'. E and W faces of lower part of base bear inscribed names of those killed during WWI (15 names to each). Rear N face of upper part of base reads '1939 - 1945'. Inscribed below on lower base are names of those killed during WWII (9 names). Column with inset panels to sides incorporating ball flower ornamentation (some of which has been replaced following damage in 1990). The column is surmounted by cross with carved foliage decoration, incorporating a central circular relief depicting head of Jesus Christ to front, Christ's monogram 'Chi Rho' to reverse.

HISTORY: The war memorial in the churchyard of St Chad's Church was funded by public subscription and was erected immediately after the end of WWI to commemorate the men of the parish who lost their lives. A further inscription was added c.1945/46 to commemorate the men of the parish who lost their lives during WWII. On Halloween 1990 the war memorial suffered extensive damage following vandalism. This resulted in the column and cross being pulled over and becoming detached from the base. The detached pieces of the memorial were kept in storage until November 2006 when the war memorial was finally restored following the receipt of funding from the War Memorials Trust. A re-dedication ceremony is proposed by the Armed Forces to be held in July 2007.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Intricately carved cross war memorial dating to c.1920 (and restored in 2006) commemorating the men of Kirkby who lost their lives during the Great Wars (the names of those killed during WWII were added later) and erected with money raised by public subscription. The decorative cross finial surmounting the memorial incorporates foliage decoration and religious symbolism in the form of a carved depiction of the head of Jesus Christ with Christ's monogram (Chi Rho) on the reverse. With this unusual and striking design the war memorial is a notable and prominent feature within the churchyard of St Chad's Church and the wider community of Kirkby, and is of both special architectural and special historic interest in a national context.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
503259
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/108751
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/15106

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].