WAR MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1393692
Date first listed:
23-Feb-2010
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, TOWN GREENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393692.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 02:15:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, TOWN GREENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Epping
National Grid Reference:
TL 46369 02616

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial at Town Greens, Palmer's Hill Epping, erected in 1921, has been designated for the following principal reasons: * The memorial has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the two World Wars and other subsequent conflicts. * The memorial is a simple but architecturally distinct tribute to the fallen, designed and executed by the noted architect and craftsman, EP Warren and Laurence Turner, both of whom have many listed pieces to their names. * It has group value with four other listed buildings nearby.

Details

EPPING

601/0/10008 TOWN GREENS 23-FEB-10 Palmer's Hill War Memorial

II War memorial built in 1921, designed by E P Warren and built by Laurence Turner. MATERIALS Limestone.

PLAN Octagonal base with central shaft.

EXTERIOR The memorial comprises a simple cross, set atop a slim, faceted shaft with simple capital, that is mounted upon an octagonal base and 4 tiered plinth. The base of the shaft has moulded corners and a small area of decorative carving to its principal facade. The plinth has four headstones on opposing faces, and upon which the names of the fallen are inscribed. A paved path provides pedestrian access from the public highway.

HISTORY The memorial was paid for by public subscription and unveiled by Brigadier General J T Wigan on 8th May 1921. It was designed by Edward P Warren (1856-1937), articled to G F Bodley, a prolific all round architect with equal ability to design churches, colleges, private houses and hospitals, many of which are listed. Laurence Turner, who built the memorial, was a noted craftsman who has contributed to many designated structures included the war memorial at Lancaster Gate, listed at Grade II.

SOURCES website, www.UKNIWM.org.uk, accessed 28/09/2009 website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk, accessed 08/07/2009

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION The war memorial at Town Greens, Palmer's Hill, Epping is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons. * The memorial has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in the two World Wars and other subsequent conflicts. * The memorial is a simple but architecturally distinct tribute to the fallen, designed and executed by the architect and craftsman, E P Warren and Laurence Turner, both of whom have many listed pieces to their names. * It has group value with four other listed buildings nearby.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
507033
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 12 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120330
War Memorials Register, accessed 12 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2244

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].