WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1393740

Date first listed: 07-Feb-2001

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2019 at 18:50:20.

Location

Statutory Address: WAR MEMORIAL AT HOLY TRINITY CHURCH YARD, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 39209 89055

Reasons for Designation

A war memorial cross of c. 1920 by the notable Liverpool sculptor H.Tyson Smith, his first commission after returning from military service, and of outstanding quality. The memorial stands within Holy Trinity churchyard, the church being listed at Grade II*

Details



SJ 3989 CHURCH ROAD 392/31/10162 (West,off) 07-FEB-01 War Memorial at Holy Trinity Church Yard

GV II*

War Memorial Cross. c.1920. By George Herbert Tyson Smith, sculptor. Ashlar limestone with statuary and relief carving. Tapering stone cross rising from a stepped plinth on a truncated pyramidal base. The cross is of rectangular section with stub cross arms. Flanking the cross shaft are 2 classically-draped female figures, each holding a laurel wreaths. The figures stand upon inset stepped plinths. At the base of the cross, to the front, a dedicatory panel inscribed "To the enduring memory of Wavertree men who laid down their lives in the Great War". A rear panel bears a relief sculpture;'the Pelican in her Piety'(the female pelican draws blood from her own body to feed her young) above the inscription "Pro Patria 1914- 1918" to which has been added below "1939 -1945." HISTORY: Tyson Smith, considered to be one of Liverpool's most notable sculptors, received the commission for this memorial on his return from military servive with the Royal Flying Corps. He later completed the bronze relief panels on the Liverpool Cenotaph at St George's Hall. The memorial stands within the churchyard of Holy Trinity Church, Wavertree (item 31/283)with which it forms a group.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 499678

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 25 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120606
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1940

End of official listing