RE-USED CALVARY CROSS SLAB, CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1393860
Date first listed:
24-Jun-2010
Statutory Address:
RE-USED CALVARY CROSS SLAB, CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, TOWNGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:07:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
RE-USED CALVARY CROSS SLAB, CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, TOWNGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Eccleston
National Grid Reference:
SD 51621 17832

Reasons for Designation

The re-used medieval ledger located on the south-west side of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary , Eccleston, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Its origin in C13-C15 as a Calvary cross memorial ledger incorporating a sword * Its secondary history as an unusual example of C18 re-use of a formerly internal ledger, showing a continuity of tradition and the desire for perpetual remembrance of an individual by means of a memorial stone.

Details

1837/0/10018

ECCLESTON TOWNGATE (Off) RE-USED CALVARY CROSS SLAB, CHURCHYARD OF THE CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY 24-JUN-10

II* Ledger. Medieval (C13-C15), re-used in 1766 to commemorate John Rigby. Located in churchyard on south-west side of Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston. Gritstone.

Large rectangular slab aligned east-west. Now lichen covered and south edge partially covered by grass. Original design of incised cross with dovetail terminals set on two step Calvary, with large sword on its right side. Secondary incisions comprise initials 'I(J)R' at the top left and at the top right 'John Rigby / 1766'.

HISTORY: The original cross ledger would have been located within the church. The sword emblem signifies a male burial, to an unknown individual. In the C18 when it was appropriated as a churchyard memorial to one John Rigby who died in 1766.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The re-used medieval ledger located on the south-west side of the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Eccleston, is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Its origin in C13-C15 as a Calvary cross memorial ledger incorporating a sword * Its secondary history as an unusual example of C18 re-use of a formerly internal ledger, showing a continuity of tradition and the desire for perpetual remembrance of an individual by means of a memorial stone.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
507682
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].