Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1393988

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 6-9, ABBEY CHURCH YARD


Ordnance survey map of 6-9, ABBEY CHURCH YARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1393988 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:31:48.


Statutory Address: 6-9, ABBEY CHURCH YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 75038 64763


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ABBEY CHURCH YARD (North side) 12/06/50 Nos.6-9 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY CHURCH YARD Nos.6-10 (Consecutive))


Terrace of shops with accommodation over, opposite the Pump Room. Late 1790's. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. EXTERIOR: Terrace of four south-facing houses. Three storeys with attics and cellars, single depth plan, No.7 has rear extension. Main front has nine windows, one:two:three:two:one, the centre and ends being slightly advanced. Band at first floor level, at first and second floor sill level, Vitruvian scroll above first floor windows except for centre three bays. Cornice, parapet, shallow pediment over three central windows. Mansard roof. All windows are twelve pane sashes except for first floor windows of Nos.6 and 7 where the sill has been dropped and the sashes are now six/nine pane. Left return (No.6) has two windows and a blind recess on each floor. The right return (No.9) has four windows, the outer ones on narrow curved corner bays. Flat topped dormers, mostly small paned. Tall ashlar stacks, most with pots surviving. Nos.6 and 7 have Victorian shop fronts (No.7 is mid C19). No.8 has a larger double fronted shop front of high quality, dating from c.1830-40, rising up to first floor sill level, with ornamental cast iron undersill panels in the Greek Revival manner. No.9 has a six panel door with two glazed panels and fanlight over, plus modern plate glass windows with pram hood blinds, but these are set into an early C19 shop front, shown with the arched window heads in a print of 1817. INTERIORS: Not inspected. HISTORY: This terrace was first designed by Thomas Baldwin in c1790, but rebuilding was delayed until after his financial fall in 1793 and it was subsequently carried out to a revised design. Part of the comprehensive remodelling of the centre of the city around the Pump Room at this time, this row included a number of prominent shops from the outset. SOURCES: Jane Root, `Thomas Baldwin┬┐, Bath History vol V (1994), 80-103; Graham Finch, `Shopfront Record┬┐, (Bath City Council 1992).

Listing NGR: ST7503864763


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509343

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing