UNION CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394024
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
UNION CHAPEL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNION CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394024.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 20:00:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNION CHAPEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 76075 62325

Details

CHURCH ROAD Combe Down (North side) Union Chapel 05/08/75

GV II

Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1815, altered 1880 and 1909 MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, slate roofs. PLAN: Plain gabled range, but with second, later gabled hall range to right built c1900. EXTERIOR: Chapel has small arched light above cornice to gable, then tall segmental headed lights flanking central porch with pilasters, deep frieze and cornice, with blocking coursed raised at centre, over pair of panelled doors. Second gable has lean-to porch across front with cambered arch lights flanking flush panelled door with fanlight, to left of main front later flat roofed extension brought forward to match this porch. Gables are raised and coped. Rear has two-light pointed windows and small rose. INTERIOR: Inspected by Bath Council 1994. Chapel pews, south Chapel windows, one original retains 15mm ovolo moulded glazing bars. Circular grille with moulded plated frame in the centre of ceiling. HISTORY: This chapel was built to provide Combe Down¿s artisanal population with a place of worship (a very characteristic foundation of this date): the Argyle Street Independent Chapel played a leading role in this. The union referred to the mix of Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans who worshipped here. In 1880 extensive repairs were carried out and the box pews removed. The building originally to the right was a schoolroom; a much larger one was added to the left in 1891, and much enlarged in 1909. The adjoining burial ground was used from 1828 to 1916. SOURCE: Peter Addison, Around Combe Down (1998), 126-131. Listing NGR: ST7607562325

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509416
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top