NO. 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394282

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 4, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:16:09.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 4 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 4, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74429 65700

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1191 (West side) No.4 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos.1-9 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now flats. Completed 1791 with C20 alterations. By John Palmer, built by Richard Sartain. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to rear, Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall with two ashlar stacks to left. House at angle of street wider to rear, staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, two-window range. First floor has two C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills with wrought iron balconettes, small squint window to right, second floor has two similar sashes, ground floor has two similar sashes with continuous stone sill to left, six-panel door with flush and raised and fielded panels with single glazed panel to top in pedimented Doric doorcase, one step to pennant paved crossover with wrought iron footscraper. Basement has six/six-sash in plain reveal with stone sill, C20 door in ashlar infilling under crossover, C20 area steps. Two single dormers with two/two-sashes. Band course over ground floor, frieze, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation has three C19 sashes, narrower to left and right, to ground floor, first floor and second floor to right, to first floor with wrought iron balcony with lead roof, two C19 sashes to basement, two six/six sashes to left lighting stairs at angle to rest of facade, one triple and two single dormers with C19 sashes. Lead hopperhead to left. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with cast tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; lower part of Park Street forms one of the four diagonal approaches to St James's Square . Underlease of messuage to Richard Sartain 25 November 1791 for 96 years from 24 June 1790. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; - 1657 - Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7442965700

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509685

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing