NO. 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394286

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 8, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:21:57.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 8 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 8, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74433 65724

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1195 (West side) No.8 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos.1-9 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now flats. Completed 1792 with C19 and C20 additions. By John Palmer, built by William Culverwell. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, rubble to basement, render to rear, Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with artificial slate to rear and coped gable wall with two ashlar stacks to left. Staircase to front. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic, basement and sub-basement, two-bay range. First floor has to left one six/six-sash with crown glass in plain reveal with stone sill and wrought iron balconette, first floor right has plate glass window above porch extension, second floor has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, ground floor has to left one similar sash with crown glass, porch extension to right has six-panel door with reeded and raised and fielded panels with cast iron knocker in pedimented Doric doorcase with one pennant step, porch has cornice of doorcase continued to front and left and right sides, single-pane window in plain reveal to ground floor left side, recessed panel to ground floor right side, porch has to first half landing level to front two C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, moulded cornice and coped parapet to porch. Basement has two C20 six/six horned sashes in plain reveals with continuous sill, small opening to sub-basement, plank door and two-light window in ashlar infilling under crossover, ashlar area steps. Triple dormer with plate glass sashes. Band course over ground floor, frieze, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation single bay with three sashes to ground, first and second floors, plate glass to ground floor and first floor, four/four and six/six to second floor, each with narrower sashes to left and right, continuous stone sills, triple dormer with plate glass sashes, basement has six/six-sash in plain reveal with stone sill, nine-pane half-glazed door, small ashlar extension. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings with urn tops on limestone bases. - 1665 - HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; lower part of Park Street forms one of the four diagonal approaches to St James's Square. Underlease of messuage to William Culverwell 29 June 1792 for 94 years from 24 June 1792. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7443365724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509690

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing