NO.10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394288

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 10, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394288 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:18:46.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.10 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 10, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74441 65749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1197 (West side) No.10 & attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos 10-14 (consec) & Nos 12-27 (consec) Park Mansions) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now nursing home. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front and rear painted to left side, limestone rubble to basement, Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall to left with two rebuilt ashlar stacks to right end with some early clay pots. Corner house fronting Park Street with entrance to left side to Park Place. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and cellar, single bay three-window range. First floor has three plate glass sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, to left and right narrower than centre, second floor has similar fenestration with one plate glass sash flanked by two blind windows. Ground floor has three-sashes similar to first floor. Basement has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, ashlar extension in area probably C19 with C20 alterations, C20 area steps. Double dormer blocked to left with six/six-sash and moulded architrave to right. Timber bressumer and stone band course over ground floor, lintel, moulded stone eaves cornice and coped parapet. Narrow rear elevation has six/six-sash to first half landing and in single dormer, nine pane tilting window to second floor. Left side to Park Place has two plate glass sashes in plain reveals to each of first floor, second floor and ground floor, two six/six-sashes in similar reveals to attic. Glazing bar sash in splayed reveal to basement to left. Ground floor has six-panel door with reeded and raised and fielded panels and two upper panels glazed in Doric doorcase and approached by four pennant steps. Deep plinth, timber bressumer and stone band course over ground floor continued from front, upper mouldings of eaves cornice continued from front and continuous with eaves cornice of No.1 Park Place (qv), coped parapet from front ramped up over end of mansard. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped tops on limestone bases to front. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808, street formerly terminated by All Saints' Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: MAP PP 2-3; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7444165749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509692

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing