NO.14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394292

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 14, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394292 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:19:44.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 14, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74450 65776

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1201 (West side) No.14 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos 10-14 (consec) & Nos 12-27 (consec) Park Mansions) 12/06/50

GV II

House. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, limestone ashlar and rubble to rear. Double-pile roof not visible behind parapet to front, ashlar stacks with some early clay pots and coped gable wall to left end. EXTERIOR: Four storeys and basement, three window range. First floor has three C19 plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with wrought iron balconettes, second floor has three six/six-sashes in plain reveals, third floor has three six/six-sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, ground floor has two C19 plate glass sashes in splayed reveals with stone sills to left, door with four flush and raised and fielded panels with single glazed panel in top with C19 iron knocker and brass letter plate with pedimented Doric doorcase with C19 footscraper on pennant paved crossover. Basement has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals with continuous stone sill, ashlar extension in area and infill under crossover with plank door and three-pane overlight, area steps rebuilt. Band course over ground floor, sill band to first and second floors, lintel and moulded cornice over second floor, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation has scattered fenestration, including early glazing bar sashes, mansard rebuilt to form full third floor. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings with lifting section and gate with shaped tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: This house originally similar to No.13 Park Street (qv) adjoining, rebuilt above former eaves cornice over second floor to form full third floor. Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808; street formerly terminated by All Saints Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7445065776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509699

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing