NO.16 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394294

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.16 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 16, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.16 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:48:48.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.16 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 16, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74457 65787

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1203 (West side) No.16 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos 10-14 (consec) and Nos 12-27 (consec) Park Mansions) 12/06/50

GV II

House. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, limestone ashlar and rubble to rear, Welsh slate double pile parapeted roof, mansard to front, rebuilt as full third floor to rear, with coped gable wall with two limestone ashlar stacks with some early clay pots to left. Staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, three window range. First floor has three plate glass horned sashes with wrought iron balconettes, second floor has three six/six-sashes in plain reveals, ground floor has two plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals with stone sills to left, six-panel door with reeded and raised and fielded panels and decorative fanlight in square headed plain reveal to right with one step to pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper. Basement has C20 six/six-sash in plain reveal with timber sill, additional crossover to left half covering area, no area steps. One double and one single dormer with plate glass and two/two-sashes. Rear elevation largely retains early glazing bar sashes, mansard rebuilt to rear to form full third storey, two C20 garages attached to rear. Band course over ground floor forming sill band to first floor windows, sill band to second floor, moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet. Lead down pipe to left shared with No.15 Park Street (qv), painted number over door. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808; street formerly terminated by All Saints Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 175; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7445765787

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509704

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing