NO.18 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394296

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO.18 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 18, PARK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO.18 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 00:48:21.

Location

Statutory Address: NO.18 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 18, PARK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74461 65800

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARK STREET 656-1/29/1205 (West side) No.18 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (West side) Nos 10-14 (consec) & Nos 12-27 (consec) Park Mansions) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now flats. c1790-1793 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, limestone ashlar and rubble to rear. Welsh slate double pile parapeted mansard roof with coped gable wall to left with brick and ashlar stack with some early clay pots to front and rear roofs. EXTERIOR: Three storeys attic and basement, three-window range. First floor has three six/nine-sashes in plain reveals with wrought iron balconettes, second floor has three six/six-sashes in plain reveals. Ground floor has two six/six-sashes in plain reveals to left, to right six-panel door with reeded and raised and fielded panels with fanlight over in square-headed plain reveal, one step to pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper. Basement has one C20 six/six-sash in plain reveal with timber sill and one C20 half-glazed door, C20 extension in area provides access to basement via area of No.17 Park Street (qv), area steps gone. One double and one single dormer with plate glass sashes. Band course over ground floor forms sill band to first floor windows, sill band to second floor windows, frieze and moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet ramped down to centre. Rear elevation largely retains early glazing bar sashes, to first floor with wrought iron balconette, one double dormer and one C20 rooflight, small reconstituted Bath stone extension. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Wrought iron railings with shaped tops on limestone bases. HISTORY: Part of incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay 25 March 1790; upper part of Park Street commenced to design of John Palmer and continued but not completed to design of John Pinch after 1808, street formerly terminated by All Saints Chapel at top and intended to be continued in a NW direction as Regent Place. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: MAP PP 2-3; Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856: DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS.

Listing NGR: ST7446165800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509709

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing