LANSDOWN GROVE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394462
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
LANSDOWN GROVE HOTEL, LANSDOWN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394462.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 03:08:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANSDOWN GROVE HOTEL, LANSDOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 74768 65805

Details

LANSDOWN ROAD (East side)

656-1/30/794 Lansdown Grove Hotel

05/08/75

GV II

House, 1770, enlarged as a hotel c1860, altered 1913, converted as a part of Bath High School 1995. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, hipped slate roof with moulded stacks to the front slope and three pedimented dormers to the centre. PLAN: Double depth plan. EXTERIOR: Four storeys including an attic storey; symmetrical eleven-window front (including two three-window canted bays). Horned plate glass sash windows. Two full height canted bays to the outer ranges have panelled parapets and cornices, the cornices continue as an eaves cornice across the central ranges. Second-floor cornices to the bays and a lower modillion cornice to the centre. A first floor cornice spans the building. The three central ranges step slightly forward with a pediment and `LANSDOWN GROVE HOTEL' in raised letters, flat-arched recesses to the windows and a projecting porch (probably 1913) with a C20 door in a moulded architrave flanked by clasping Ionic pilasters supporting a pulvinated frieze and pediment. Two/two-pane sash windows to the first floors of the bays and a French window to the right hand bay. To the right is a 1913 (dated) single storey wing with a three-quarter circular room to the right. A panelled parapet is balustraded over the curved part. Ionic pilasters articulate windows in moulded architraves with keystones and curved plate glass panes. A terrace to the right has four Tuscan pilasters and C20 glazing. Set well back and on a high slope is a further late C19 block (not of architectural or historic interest). INTERIOR: Not inspected.

Listing NGR: ST7476865805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509862
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].