GROTTO APPROX 30M N OF LOWER LODGE TO PRIOR PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394467
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
GROTTO APPROX 30M N OF LOWER LODGE TO PRIOR PARK, PRIOR PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROTTO APPROX 30M N OF LOWER LODGE TO PRIOR PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:56:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROTTO APPROX 30M N OF LOWER LODGE TO PRIOR PARK, PRIOR PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 76020 62964

Details

PRIOR PARK 656-1/67/1290

Grotto approx 30m N of Lower Lodge to Prior Park (Formerly Listed as: PRIOR PARK Grotto in grounds of Prior Park) 11/08/72

GV II

Remains of grotto. c1740, sometimes known as Pope's Grotto, but probably executed by Richard Jones. Tufa or sponge stone. One rough arch, rising to approx 3m, has, to its left, small rectangular opening in attached walling. Some plans show rectangular building, remains of walling at present exposed, to heights of up to 1m, in ashlar or tufa, form rough rectangle, about 2.5m in depth and 7m to 8m wide. Grotto lies near outer wall of estate adjacent to Ralph Allen's Drive, and separated from other garden features such as former Serpentine, by main approach drive used by Prior Park College (qv). Before this associated with cascade and serpentine pool, both superseded by later work. Alexander Pope, who first visited Ralph Allen at Prior Park in 1737, refers to "Mrs Allen's grotto and cascade" in a letter in 1740, at which time it seems that these were not completed. 1836 pupil at Prior Park Seminary refers to a "...dazzling assemblage of shells, fossils, minerals etc...." in roofing. Recent excavation has also revealed some pieces of slate in debris, possibly part of former external roof covering. SOURCES: Information from NT Warden on site). (Clarke G: Prior Park: A Compleat Landscape: Bath: 1987-: PASSIM.

Listing NGR: ST7602062964

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509867
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top