Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1394515

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: SHOPS NOS 1 TO 8 (CONSEC), 1 TO 8, PULTENEY BRIDGE


Ordnance survey map of SHOPS NOS 1 TO 8 (CONSEC)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394515 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:33:32.


Statutory Address: SHOPS NOS 1 TO 8 (CONSEC), 1 TO 8, PULTENEY BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 75184 64955


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PULTENEY BRIDGE 656-1/41/2441 (North side) Shops Nos 1 to 8 (consec) (Formerly Listed as: PULTENEY BRIDGE Pulteney Bridge & shops Nos 1-8 (consec) on N side & Nos 9-17 (consec) on S) 14/07/55


Shops. c1774, present appearance dates largely from 1975 (plaque). By Robert Adam, for William Johnstone Pulteney. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: Continuous line of shops built on bridge. Street elevation on north side of bridge, extremely altered from its original appearance. STYLE: Palladian style. EXTERIOR: Two storeys with attics in pavilion towers and central pediment. Ground floor has continuous timber shopfronts, windows mostly three-lights with slim mullions and arched heads, mostly dates from 1975 restoration when 1880's shop of Duck, Son and Pinker at Nos 1 and 2 was taken as model (No.3 retains c1875 surround by C Wibley and No.8 1891 surround by Browne and Gill). Above are one:five:one:four:one windows, all six/six sashes, end bays and central one are set slightly forward, and are pedimented. Central feature has window in arched recess, flanked by blind roundels, arch rising to break pediment. Cornice, parapet, continuous roof with one ashlar stack with pots. Return elevation at east end has one six/six sash over three-light shop window. Return elevation at west end bowed and has three/six sash, with shop window extended to left below. Adam's designs survive in Soane Museum. Original appearance of bridge was recorded by Thomas Malton in 1788, and his drawing shows very considerable difference from present appearance, includes unbalancing of elevation and complete alteration of end pavilions, including loss of domes and Doric porticos. INTERIORS: As seen show no interesting features, but shops have cantilevered rear extensions (qv Pulteney Bridge). Scheduled Ancient Monument. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: London: 1948-: 65; Lees-Milne J and Ford D: Images of Bath: London: 1982-; The Bath Chronicle: Images of Bath: Derby: 1994-; Field G: Shopfront Record, Bath City Council: 1992-.

Listing NGR: ST7518464955


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 509913

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing