PAIR OF LODGES AND ATTACHED WALLS TO THE REAR OF NO 24 QUEEN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1394586
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Oct-2010
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF LODGES AND ATTACHED WALLS TO THE REAR OF NO 24 QUEEN STREET, QUEEN ' S PARADE PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394586.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:59:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF LODGES AND ATTACHED WALLS TO THE REAR OF NO 24 QUEEN STREET, QUEEN ' S PARADE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 74765 65083

Details

QUEEN'S PARADE PLACE 656-1/30/1346 Pair of lodges and attached walls to the rear of No 24 Queen Square (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN'S PARADE PLACE Lodge adjacent to No 1 (behind and in garden of No 24 Queen Square)) 12/06/50

GV II

Pair of lodges to rear of No.24 Queen Square (qv). c1734. Probably by John Wood the Elder. MATERIALS: Coursed limestone rubble with freestone dressings, each has slate pavilion roof with stone ridges, ball finial to apex and tall square moulded stack to outer corner. PLAN: Each square plan. EXTERIOR: Single storey, one window wide. The principal fronts are those facing south towards the house: these have heavily moulded window surrounds and quoins of ashlar, contrasting with the rubble walls. Each side gutter over cornice and eaves band, openings have blocks to surrounds and stepped voussoirs, to front of each six/six-pane sash window with thick glazing bars, half-glazed doors in similar surrounds face entrance. Attached to fronts, just below eaves bands, rubblestone walls that sweep down to approx 1m high and project approx 1.5m to flank carriageway. INTERIORS: Not inspected. HISTORY: These lodges are said to have been used by sedan chair attendants, or chairmen, and as such are very rare survivals in the context of Bath or any other Georgian city. Having been in very poor condition they were restored in the early 1970s. SOURCE: Country Life, 27 May 1972, letter.

Listing NGR: ST7476565083

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
509983
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].