GATE PIERS AND GATES TO DRIVE AT PRIOR PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394606

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AND GATES TO DRIVE AT PRIOR PARK, RALPH ALLEN DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE PIERS AND GATES TO DRIVE AT PRIOR PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394606 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 10:43:42.

Location

Statutory Address: GATE PIERS AND GATES TO DRIVE AT PRIOR PARK, RALPH ALLEN DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 76023 63037

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RALPH ALLEN DRIVE 656-1/57/1361 (East side) 11/08/72

Gate Piers and gates to Drive at Prior Park

(Formerly Listed as: RALPH ALLEN DRIVE Gate posts to Drive at Prior Park)

GV II

Pair of gate piers with gates. Probably by John Wood the Elder, c1740, but see below. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar, wrought and cast iron. Rusticated piers approx 1.2m square and 4.5m high, on moulded base partially concealed by rise in surrounding levels, with wide moulded cappings and double blocking course carrying very large, horizontally moulded, urns. Outer face of piers inscribed `PRIOR PARK¿ and `COLLEGE¿. Iron gates hung to stiles with modelled consoles, and have concave top rail, with twisted main and dog bars. HISTORY: These are the middle pair of the three pairs marking entries into the Prior Park estate off Ralph Allen Drive. The precise genesis of these piers in unclear. They are identical with those at south end of Ralph Allen Drive (qv), at junction with North Road, but the entrance they presently flank was only formed in 1836 as part of the works undertaken for Bishop Baines and overseen by H.E. Goodridge: no entrance is shown on Thorpe and Overton's survey of c1762 in this position. They may well have been brought from elsewhere on the estate, or are possibly 1830s replicas of the c1740 originals. The piers are notable for the size of the urns which demonstrated the quality of Bath stone available from Ralph Allen's quarries and its ability to be worked on a massive scale. SOURCE: Gillian Clarke, `Prior Park. A Compleat Landscape¿ (Bath 1987), 66.

Listing NGR: ST7602363037

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510005

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing