THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394802

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, LOCKSBROOK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394802 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:41:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DOLPHIN PUBLIC HOUSE, LOCKSBROOK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 72703 64891

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOCKSBROOK ROAD (South side) The Dolphin Public House 05/08/75

GV II

Public house. Early C18 with C19 and C20 additions and modification. MATERIALS: Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, some large ashlar block, earlier range rendered, pantile roofs. PLAN: Substantial structure in parallel ranges, that towards canal of earlier date, roadside also has lower stable attached to left. EXTERIOR: Two and three storeys, mainly plain sash windows. Entrance front has two large tripartite sashes in flush stone painted surrounds and broad plain mullions. Ground floor C20 four and five-light stone mullioned casements in recessed ovolo mould surrounds, with square light to right in former door opening. Central C20 doors in slight flat roofed C20 porch. Front has coped gables, each with stack, left hand bay projects forward slightly under swept down, and to left low stable block with small casement at eaves and broad garage door below, and rebuilt end gable. Return to right, by lane approaching canal bridge (qv), has two gables, first in large plain ashlar blocks, has large plain sash above twelve-pane early C19 sash, other gable has two plain sashes above similar twelve-pane. Rear block loftier than front, and is original pub, appears to have been extend by one bay to left, has three small plain sashes above two with blank centre bay. Ground floor mainly covered by later lean to units, glazed door to right. Front has continuous string course to first and second floor levels, with same below blocking course with parapet. Coped gables, and raised coped party wall, with two stacks. INTERIOR: Not inspected. HISTORY: Pub evidently constructed originally when canal was brought through in early C18 (opened 1727), and entered from this side, but now reorientated to road on other side. The building is illustrated in an engraving by W. Giller `near BATH' published 21 Aug 1821 by P. Salmoni, Bath: Bath Ref Library, Hunt Collection V. IV p.44; it is also included in the undated mid C18 view `A View of Twiverton Locks, on the River Avon, near Bath'(Bath Ref Library).

Listing NGR: ST7270364891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510208

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing