46, ST JAMES'S PARADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394839

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: 46, ST JAMES'S PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 46, ST JAMES'S PARADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:23:27.

Location

Statutory Address: 46, ST JAMES'S PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74946 64599

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST JAMES'S PARADE 656-1/40/2462 (North East side) No.46

(Formerly Listed as: ST JAMES'S PARADE (North East side) Nos 31-46 (consec) & No.47 (Talbot Public House)) 12/06/50

GV II

House in terrace, ground floor links through to 13, Lower Borough Walls (qv). c1785 with C19 and C20 alterations. By John Palmer. MATERIALS: Rendered and painted ashlar, slate roof. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement, single window, all plain sashes, paired dormer above tripartite in moulded architrave at first and second floors, with cornice drip raised over Palladian window to first floor. Full width late C19/early C20 pilaster shopfront with fascia and cornice, recessed central door. Modillion cornice, blocking course and parapet, deep stack to coped party wall in mansard roof, right. Rear has some plain sashes. INTERIOR: Not inspected. Street was laid out in 1768, but this was part of the later development. HISTORY: St James's Parade, originally Thomas Street, was the centrepiece of a development from 1765 onwards by Richard Jones, Thomas Jelly and Henry Fisher who were granted liberty in September 1765 to 'pull down the Boro' walls next to the Ambry gardens in order to build new houses there'. The street was closed off with bollards at each end, and the houses fronted a broad paved walk in place of the road. The elevations, attributed to Thomas Jelly and John Palmer, show the influence of John Wood the Younger's work elsewhere, as in Rivers Street. The houses were mainly built in c.1768. Following bomb damage in the area, extensive clearance and redevelopment has taken place. St James's Parade, after an uncertain period, was reprieved. This particular house was a rather later development in this 1760s street.

Listing NGR: ST7494664599

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510246

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing