NO. 1 AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1394852

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 1 AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER, 1, ST JAMES'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 1 AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1394852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 11:45:34.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 1 AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER, 1, ST JAMES'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74522 65527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST JAMES'S STREET 656-1/30/1552 (West side) No.1 and attached wall and gate pier

(Formerly Listed as: ST JAMES'S STREET Nos 1-9 (consec) & No.10 (St James's Wine Vaults Public House)) 12/06/50

GV II

Shop with flat over. Completed 1791 with late C19 extension and C20 additions. By John Palmer, built by Henry Street. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, render to ground floor right, render and ashlar to rear, concrete tile parapeted mansard roof, hipped to right, with coped gable wall to left with ashlar stack with early clay pots, probably shared with No.2 St James's Street (qv), flat roof to C19 extension to right not visible. EXTERIOR: Three storeys and attic, three-window range. Building at junction of St James's Street and Julian Road wedge shaped narrowing to right with extension to right continuing to narrow to c1m deep. First floor has three plate glass horned sashes in plain reveals, to left with wrought iron balconette, window to right in extension. Second floor has two similar windows with stone sills, similar blind window to second floor of extension to right. Ground floor has late C19 timber shopfront similar to No.2 St James's Street (qv) to left with two-pane plate glass window to left with moulded sill and rendered stall riser, panelled door to right has two beaded, three moulded and fielded and one glazed panel, surround has three panelled pilasters flanking door to right and to far left, console brackets flanking frieze, modillion cornice and blind box, ground floor to right blind with band course over part. Single dormer with two/two horned sash with moulded architrave, weathered sill band to first floor continuous with Nos 2 and 3 St James's Street (qv), moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet continuous with Nos. 2 and 3 St James's Street. Right side has cornice returned, lead hopperhead. Rear elevation has four small C20 windows, remains of painted sign on extension to rear left. INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached ashlar gatepier c3.5m high with mitred cap and attached length of rubble wall c2m high with ashlar coping to former Countess of Huntington's Burial Ground, with length of C20 ashlar wall with stone with incised lettering `COUNTESS OF HUNTINGDON'S CEMETERY AD 1765¿. HISTORY: Part of the incomplete St James's Square development on land leased by Fielder, King, Hewlett and Broom from Sir Peter Rivers Gay, Lord of the manor of Walcot, dated 25 March 1790; St James's Street forms one of the four diagonal approaches to St James's Square which together exemplify the application of Picturesque principles to town planning. Nos 1, 2 and 3 St James's Street were built by Henry Street: underlease to Henry Street 14 March 1791 for 96 years from 24 June 1790. SOURCES: Bath City Archives, 'Abstract of title of Sir J F Rivers ... to property sold 1856': DEED PKT 2379 & MAPS; Field G: Shopfront Record, Bath City Council: 1992-.

Listing NGR: ST7452265527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510256

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing