NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND VAULTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1395178

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-2010

Statutory Address: NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND VAULTS, 2, CAMDEN CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND VAULTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1395178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:52:29.

Location

Statutory Address: NO. 2 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND VAULTS, 2, CAMDEN CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 74931 65651

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN CRESCENT No.2 and attached railings and vaults (Formerly Listed as: CAMDEN CRESCENT Nos.1-5 (Consec)) 12/06/50

GV II

House, now flats. c1788 with C19 and C20 additions, see below. By John Eveleigh. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar to front, painted to basement, ashlar and rubble to rear; double pile parapeted mansard roof, artificial slate to front, concrete tiles to rear, with two ashlar stacks with early clay pots rising from coped party wall to left and back to back with those of No.1 Camden Crescent (qv). PLAN: House is one of five forming left wing of Camden Crescent, staircase to rear. EXTERIOR: Three storeys, attic and basement; three-window range. First floor has three plate glass sashes in splayed reveals; second floor has three plate glass sashes in splayed reveals with stone sills. Ground floor has to left two plate glass sashes in splayed reveals with stone sills, to right six-panel door with flush, fielded and glazed panels in pedimented Doric doorcase; one step to pennant paved crossover with cast iron footscraper. Basement has two six/six sashes in plain reveals with stone sills, C20 door in with plate glass sashes. Band course over ground floor; sill band to first floor; modillion eaves cornice and coped parapet. Rear elevation has six/six, two/two and plate glass horned sashes with wrought iron balconette to ground floor; C20 glazed door. INTERIOR: Recorded by Bath Preservation Trust in 1988. The drawing room retains the original shutters with heavy 8-sectioned hinges in pairs. Arched entrance to main hall has an ornamental frieze under the arch depicting vine leaves and grapes, with bead edging at the base. No. 2 inspected by City of Bath 1970¿s stone cantilevered staircase balusters per tread. Rectangular fanlight over front door. Double connecting doors on first floor. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached wrought iron railings and gate with shaped heads on painted limestone bases. It was recorded in the Bath Chronicle for 1794 that 2 Upper Camden Place (then the name of Camden Crescent) had been `occupied these last three years'. SOURCES: Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bath: Bath: 1980-: 162-4. Listing NGR: ST7493165651

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 510592

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing