Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of FAIRFIELD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1395932.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:49:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 72279 65767


KELSTON ROAD 656-1/0/0

No.2 Fairfield (Formerly Listed as: NEWBRIDGE HILL Fairfield) 05/08/75


Large detached house. c1850 (Bath Directory). Probably by James Wilson. MATERIALS: Limestone ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. PLAN: Central stairhall with rooms arranged all round. EXTERIOR: Italianate villa. Two storeys and basement, three windows to main south front. Front has slightly projecting bays at either end on ground floor, framed by plain pilasters with caps. Each contains tripartite window with stone mullions, each part two/two-sash, apron beneath window with four circles one:two:one. Between windows canted bay with tall two/two-sashes. All these windows have blind boxes. Continuous cornice band at first floor level. Four-light window with arched heads and stone pilaster/mullions to left, two/two-sashes. Three-light to centre opening onto balcony with pierced balustrade, two/two-sashes with arched heads and sliding louvered shutters. Window to right projects forward, two/two-sash with panelled apron and sill band and decorated semicircular panel above. Bracketed eaves, gabled over right hand window. Original timber and glass conservatory projects to left. Entrance front has projecting square single storey porch, otherwise blind ground floor. Upper floor has projecting stack, two six/six-sashes and projecting gable with further window. Low-pitched roofs with tall ashlar stacks with pots. INTERIOR: Largely unaltered on ground floor in all main rooms. Upper floor rooms have been divided up but could be restored. Stair has twisted iron balustrade and mahogany rail, two-light stair window on west wall. Most of joinery, fireplaces etc survive, but all decorative treatment heavily over painted with institutional gloss paint. HISTORY: House was taken by Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia in 1936 after being exiled from his homeland. He lived here until 1941, and the house was presented to Bath City Council in 1958. It was converted into an Old Peoples' Home, but has been a Day Centre since 1993.

Listing NGR: ST7227965767


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].