ELECTRIC TRANSFORMER PILLAR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1396381
Date first listed:
14-Dec-2010
Statutory Address:
ELECTRIC TRANSFORMER PILLAR, THE GLADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELECTRIC TRANSFORMER PILLAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1396381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 02:33:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELECTRIC TRANSFORMER PILLAR, THE GLADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 25873 56825

Reasons for Designation

Yes list

Details



66/0/10059 THE GLADE 14-DEC-10 Kingswood ELECTRIC TRANSFORMER PILLAR

II Transformer pillar with streetlight, c1914 with late C20 lamps.

Constructed of cast-iron, the pillar is circular in plan, approximately 1m in diameter, and 2.5m in height. Ribs split the face of the pillar vertically into panels, and horizontally into three reducing stages. The lower two stages each have two pairs of doors on opposite sides, and the top stage has a decorative panelled frieze. Above is an egg and dart cornice and a shallow conical top. A decorative lamp column rises from the centre. The top part of the column splits to form a T-shape and a lamp is held on either end of the cross bar; this top section is a later replacement of the original lamp. A panel on one of the lower doors gives the name of the maker: British Electric Transformer Company, Hayes, Middlesex.

HISTORY: The Glade and the adjoining roads were being developed from 1914 onwards. The transformer pillar was installed under The Banstead, Walton on the Hill & District Electrical Lighting Order 1914, which provided electricity to certain named streets in the area, including The Glade. The installation was undertaken by Gilbert Allom, Electrical Engineer, who acted as a private undertaker for the generation and supply of electricity for all public and private purposes in Banstead Parish.

SOURCES: English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Step Report, Electric Power Generation, Steps 1 and 3 (1994)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The early C20 electricity transformer pillar at The Glade, Banstead, Surrey, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Design interest: the transformer pillars produced by the British Electric Transformer Company are handsome pieces of industrial design. * Historic interest: this in-situ example survives from the early period of mass electricity supply, which was to have a revolutionary effect on British domestic life.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
508269
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].