Backworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1406711
Date first listed:
12-Jul-2012
Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Backworth Lane, Backworth, North Tyneside

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1406711.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:28:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Backworth Lane, Backworth, North Tyneside

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3005872244

Summary

First World War memorial with Second World War additions in the form of a tall obelisk with incised decoration.

Reasons for Designation

Backworth war memorial is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* It is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community * It has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context * it is a well-executed and handsome war memorial that contributes to the local street scene

History

After the First World War it was originally intended that there would be one war memorial for the whole district in the form of a nurses’ home on a site offered by the Duke of Northumberland. The Backworth Coal Company offered £1000 towards the cost of this, but when other places within the district had erected their own memorials and there was apparent indecision in Backworth, the money was withdrawn, and a memorial to the fallen of Backworth and West Holywell was erected by local builder J. H Taylor outside the former reading rooms. The memorial was unveiled at a ceremony on 2nd December 1922 by Col. L Taylor of Hinderside Hall, Kelso and was dedicated by Revd. E Arkless and Revd. R Davies. It was re-erected in 1948 in its present position on the village green.

Details

First World War memorial with Second World War additions.

The memorial is located at the centre of the village green; a series of six sandstone steps lead up to the monument which is of granite and comprises a stepped stone plinth and a pediment surmounted by a tall obelisk; the obelisk is decorated with flags in relief at its base on the front face, and bands of incised decorations including Greek key, palmette and pellets on the other faces. The lettering is incised and painted black using sans serif capitals throughout. The inscription on the front face of the obelisk reads: LEST WE FORGET / TO THE / HONOUR / OF OUR / GLORIOUS DEAD.

Below this on the pediment is the inscription: IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF BLACKWORTH & WEST HOLYWELL / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR.

The names of the forty-nine fallen are listed below on the font and sides of the pedestal, and on a riser below reads: 1914-18. A step below reads 1939-45. The rear of this stone reads: IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN WHO FELL / IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR, followed by the names of the 20 Fallen.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Backworth and West Holywell, accessed from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6301
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/203695
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/17742

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].