Drinking Fountain

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1410877
Date first listed:
05-Dec-2012
Statutory Address:
Northern Promenade, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1410877.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:40:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
Northern Promenade, Whitley Bay, North Tyneside

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
NZ3523273244

Summary

Drinking Fountain, 1937 Art deco style

Reasons for Designation

Cast-iron drinking fountain erected in 1937 to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Rarity: a now rare example of a once ubiquitous form of street furniture; * Design interest: it is an attractive and relatively rare example of an art deco drinking fountain; * Intactness: an intact example which retains its five original basins; * Historic importance: erected to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

History

This drinking fountain was erected on 12th May 1937 to commemorate the coronation of T. M. King George and Queen Elizabeth.

Details

The fountain is set within a large stone-flagged recess on the west side of North Promenade. It takes the form of a hexagonal cast-iron pillar with a stepped top; a small basin is attached to the front panel with a small plaque above reading:

THIS FOUNTAIN WAS/ ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE/ THE CORONATION OF/ T. M. KING GEORGE/ AND QUEEN ELIZABETH/ MAY 12TH 1937

Large basins are attached to the left and right side panels, and there are a pair of basins attached to the base for animals. The fountain is decorated with a variety of Art deco motifs including chevrons to the front panel, fluted motifs to the sides and the fountain has a wave-patterned top. The fountain is attached to a length of brick walling.

Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].