Tattershall Thorpe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1412603
Date first listed:
20-Feb-2013
Statutory Address:
War Memorial forming entrance arch to Methodist Chapel, Thorpe Road, Tattershall Thorpe, Lincolnshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of Tattershall Thorpe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1412603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:45:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial forming entrance arch to Methodist Chapel, Thorpe Road, Tattershall Thorpe, Lincolnshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Tattershall Thorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF2190059548

Summary

War memorial.

Reasons for Designation

The Tattershall Thorpe war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: it has special historic interest commemorating those members of the community who died in World War I and II.

* Architectural interest: it is a distinctive and well crafted monument in the less common form of an archway.

History

The memorial was built in front of the (unlisted) Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which was founded in 1865. Nothing is known about the designer or craftsman, and despite research having been carried out locally, it is not known when the memorial was erected. The records of the Parish Council show that in 1932 it was proposed that the lettering on the memorial be re-gilded, so it must have been erected before this date. In 2009-10 the War Memorials Trust part-funded the repair and restoration of the memorial, which involved the replacement of some bricks and stone coping, the re-pointing of joints with lime mortar, and the re-painting of the lettering with enamel.

Details

War memorial commemorating World War I and II.

MATERIALS: Red brick with limestone dressings.

EXTERIOR: The memorial takes the form of an entrance arch to the Methodist Chapel close by. The outer triangular arch has a cornice of dentilled brick, followed by a single course of stretchers, and has flat stone coping surmounted by a stone finial. The inner pointed arch is in stone and has a roll moulding, a diamond-shaped keystone, and imposts. The arch is flanked by square brick pillars which have a stone plinth course and flat caps. The jambs and gable ends of the arch project slightly from the outer sides of the pillars. The entrance arch has a pair of low timber gates which are not original.

The memorial has three marble tablets with black lettering on the front (west) side. The tablet in the apex of the gable head is inscribed with these words: ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN SACRED REMEMBRANCE OF THE MEN OF TATTERSHALL THORPE WHO FELL IN THE TWO WORLD WARS’. The tablet on the left pillar is inscribed with the names of three men followed by ‘1914-1918’, and that on the right by the names of three men followed by ‘1939-1945’.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/66696
War Memorials Register, accessed 23 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/59353

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].