Grendon Underwood War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1412840
Date first listed:
25-Feb-2013
Statutory Address:
Main Road, Grendon Underwood, opposite Grange Gardens

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1412840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:55:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Main Road, Grendon Underwood, opposite Grange Gardens

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Grendon Underwood
National Grid Reference:
SP6828220656

Summary

War memorial. Erected in 1921. Additional inscription added after World War II.

Reasons for Designation

The Grendon Underwood War Memorial, erected on the main street of the village in 1921, is designated at Grade II for the following reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this Buckinghamshire village; * Architectural interest: for the relatively unusual inclusion of all those from the village that served in the armed forces during World War I rather than the more usual practice of only recording the names of the fallen.

History

The war memorial was unveiled by Major General Sir Robert Fanshawe on 16 May 1921 on land on the south side of Main Street, donated to the parish by Miss Adeline Piggott of The Manor. The memorial was paid for by subscription of members of the village and the stone masons were W Wise and Son of Winslow. An unusual feature of the memorial was that it bore the names not only of the fallen, but all who served during the WWI, including those wounded or captured. The names of those who served during WWII were added to the rear of the memorial.

Details

The memorial, set on a grassed area, consists of a York stone obelisk, with a total height of 2.3m, set on a square base and pedestal with scotia moulding. The northern face of the obelisk has a wreath in high relief and below it the inscription reads: ‘ERECTED/ TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF/ THE MEN OF/ GRENDON UNDERWOOD/ WHO SERVED THEIR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ IN MEMORIUM.’ Below are the names of the three fallen with their rank and regiment or ship. Beneath this is the inscription ‘LEST WE FORGET’. The eastern face lists those wounded or taken prisoner and the western face those who also served. The southern face has the inscription: ‘ALSO/ IN GRATEFUL/ REMEMBRANCE OF/ ALL FROM THIS/ PARISH/ WHO SERVED/ IN THE/ SECOND WORLD/ WAR/ 1939 – 1945’ followed by the names.

The memorial is surrounded by iron chains linking four timber posts. The adjoining memorial bench is not of special interest.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
'Bucks Herald' in Grendon Underwood War Memorial Unveiled, (21 May 1921)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 11 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/115286
War Memorials Register, accessed 11 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8033

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].