REGENCY LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1413897
Date first listed:
18-Sep-2006
Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, ADELAIDE ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE, HAMPSTEAD, CAMDEN
Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, AVENUE ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, FINCHLEY ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REGENCY LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1413897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:11:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, ADELAIDE ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE, HAMPSTEAD, CAMDEN
Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, AVENUE ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE
Statutory Address:
REGENCY LODGE, FINCHLEY ROAD, SWISS COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2669484169

Details

HAMPSTEAD ADELAIDE ROAD Swiss Cottage Regency Lodge

II

Includes: Regency Lodge, AVENUE ROAD, Swiss Cottage Includes: Regency Lodge, FINCHLEY ROAD, Swiss Cottage

Flats and parade of shops on Finchley Road frontage, with underground garage. 1937-8. Robert Atkinson and A.F.B. Anderson. Brown and sandy buff bricks, with artificial stone bands and dressings on steel frame, flat roofs, and steel casement windows, a few windows replaced in late-C20. Moderne style development.

PLAN: Courtyard layout of 9 linked blocks, 6 storeys high, with narrow entrance in centre of south side. Individual lift and staircase services to groups of flats to minimise corridor lengths; separate trades' stairs and lifts characteristic of the period. Beneath the courtyard and the south ranged is a large underground parking garage for 100 cars with 15 lock-ups with access by ramps from Finchley Road and Avenue Road.

EXTERIOR: Horizontal emphasis, characteristic of the moderne style, is provided by artificial stone bands at window head and cill levels, with bold semi-circular bays at the block ends of the south range, and many casement bays with curved corners, two linked bays forming the main central feature above the entrance from the courtyard. The staircases are expressed by large vertical windows flanked by artificial stone fins. The top storey, although similar in plan to the lower floors, is treated as an attic, with windows in individual artificial stone surrounds, and not banded. Around the building are bas-relief panels, made by the Birmingham Guild, showing the trades employed in the building. The shops have been much altered in the C20, with modern shop fronts, but the overall planning interest of the scheme is maintained, with the curved corner and flat single storey roofs. The rear elevation to the north is utilitarian.

INTERIOR: Not inspected, but noted to have flats from 2-6 rooms, the larger having divisible living rooms.

HISTORY: Regency Lodge occupies the trapezoidal site at the south end of the Swiss Cottage triangle, which was redeveloped in the 1930s, with the Odeon Cinema site immediately to the north. Its location near an underground station whose services were expanded in the 1930s sets it within the context of inter-war transport developments and residential preferences for quality, stylish, flatted accommodation close to the centre of the metropolis.

Listed at grade II as a carefully designed scheme of inter-war flats with a parade of shops and underground garage by the notable early-C20 architect Robert Atkinson. The Moderne style development has a characteristic horizontal emphasis that suggests speed on this arterial route, and it effectively fills the trapezoidal site at the south end of the Swiss Cottage triangle, which was redeveloped in the 1930s. It is well detailed, including bas-relief panels of the building trades, as well as having planning interest and it is comparable with the best of the commercial flats of its date.

SOURCES The Architect and Building News, 15th April 1938. The Builder, 18th August 1944.



Sources

None.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].