Ordsall War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1421762
Date first listed:
09-Dec-2014
Location Description:
Church of All Hallow's, All Hallow's Street, Ordsall, Retford, Nottinghamshire

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1421762.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:24:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Church of All Hallow's, All Hallow's Street, Ordsall, Retford, Nottinghamshire
County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK7038679714

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1951.

Reasons for Designation

Ordsall War Memorial, in the churchyard of the church of All Hallows, unveiled in 1951, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the church of All Hallows (Grade II*), and Ordsall House (Grade II).

History

The war memorial, in remembrance of local men lost in both world wars, was unveiled on 25 March 1951 with a dedication by the rector, the Revd CHB Watson. It replaced a timber cross dedicated on 16 October 1949; on the same date in 1949 a memorial window was dedicated in All Hallows’ church.

Details

War memorial, unveiled in 1951.

Standing c.1.25m high, the memorial was based on St Columb’s Cross (in St Columb Major, Cornwall), where the granite for the memorial was quarried and it was carved. It comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross on a short shaft rising from a roughly-finished tapering plinth. A panel on the front has the lead-letter inscription: 1914-1918/ 1939-1945/ IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN. No names are given.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 24 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/205679
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27049
Other
Bassetlaw Outdoor War Memorials Survey, May 2014,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].