Ashcombe War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1422599
Date first listed:
06-Jan-2015
Location Description:
circa 50m to the west of Thistle Cottage, Ashcombe, Devon.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Ashcombe War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1422599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 11:06:47.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
circa 50m to the west of Thistle Cottage, Ashcombe, Devon.
County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashcombe
National Grid Reference:
SX9289679116

Summary

War Memorial, erected in 1920, originally built to commemorate the First World War, the details of those who fell during the Second World War were added later.

Reasons for Designation

The Aschombe War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as a memorial with a modest and sombre design.

History

The memorial at Aschombe, Devon was erected by local parishioners and unveiled on 19 September 1920. Originally intended to commemorate the First World War, the details of those who fell during the Second World War were also later added. Some of the lettering has been repaired and two names were added in 1991.

Details

War Memorial, erected in 1920, originally built to commemorate the First World War, the details of those who fell during the Second World War were added later.

MATERIAL: granite.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial takes the form of simple elongated roughly-dressed stone cross on a stone plinth. Black raised lettering has been applied to the front flat fee of the plinth, reading 1914 - 1918 / DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY / (NAMES) / 1939 - 1945 / (NAMES) / SERVED OVERSEAS / (NAMES) / ERECTED BY PARISHIONERS.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 08/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/155619
War Memorials Register, accessed 05/01/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25789

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].