Great Shelford War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1425398

Date first listed: 23-Apr-2015

Location Description: Junction of Tunwells Lane and High Street, Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, CB22 5LE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Great Shelford War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1425398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 17:56:49.

Location

Location Description: Junction of Tunwells Lane and High Street, Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire, CB22 5LE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Great Shelford

National Grid Reference: TL4623152375

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Great Shelford’s war memorial, which stands on a small green where the High Street meets the A1301, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: an elegant limestone cross.

History

The memorial was unveiled on 2 January 1921. The architect was Fred Baccus. Names of those who died in the Second World War were added at a later date.

Details

The Great Shelford war memorial, a c 7m high limestone cross, stands on a small green where the High Street meets the A1301. The tapered octagonal shaft carries upwards to form the upright of the cross-head, the horizontal of which is also octagonal. The shaft rises from a plinth which is square but with heavily chamfered corners.

On the plinth’s front face is inscribed TO/ THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ AND WOMEN/ OF THIS/ VILLAGE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WARS/ 1914-18. 1939-45./ THEIR NAME LIVETH EVERMORE. The names of those who fell in the First World War appear on the two sides of the plinth, and the Second World War dead on its rear. The plinth stands on a two-stage octagonal base. A small grassed surround is defined by stone kerb, as is a narrow path to the rear.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
Great Shelford Village Website, accessed 24/12/2014 from http://www.greatshelford.info/home/history/war-memorial-appeal
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253647
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/877

End of official listing