Leebotwood War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1428485

Date first listed: 14-Aug-2015

Location Description: Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Leebotwood, Shropshire, SY6 6NE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Leebotwood War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1428485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 06:20:53.

Location

Location Description: Churchyard of the Church of St Mary, Leebotwood, Shropshire, SY6 6NE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Leebotwood

National Grid Reference: SO4710598681

Summary

A churchyard war memorial of 1923.

Reasons for Designation

Leebotwood War Memorial, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the simple form of the Celtic, wheel-head cross;

* Group value: with the Church of St Mary (listed Grade II*)

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was Leebotwood War Memorial. The monument was dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford at a ceremony on 27 October 1923.

Details

A churchyard war memorial of 1923. MATERIAL and PLAN: the memorial is of limestone. It is placed at the junction of two gravel paths in the graveyard to the east of the Church of St Mary and takes the form of a Celtic Cross, with wheel head on a pedestal with stepped, square plinth.

The cross is of ashlar and has a wheel head. The head and the tapered shaft have entwined Celtic knot decoration to sunken panels on the west face. The east face and flanks are blank. The pedestal has a domed top and tapered body, and its corners are chamfered. The west face bears the inscription ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / IN HONOURED MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THESE PARISHES / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / ETERNAL REST AND PEACE GRANT TO THEIR SOULS O / LORD AND LET LIGHT EVER / LASTING SHINE UPON THEM.’ Names of the fallen are inscribed on the west face and the names of the dead from the Second World War are inscribed on the south side. The makers mark ‘W.JONES / SALOP’ is inscribed on the plinth.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253644
War Memorials Register, accessed 19 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38060

End of official listing