Pensford War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street, New Road and Publow Lane, Pensford, Somerset, BS39


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1430676.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2021 at 20:00:09.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Church Street, New Road and Publow Lane, Pensford, Somerset, BS39

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Pensford War Memorial, unveiled in 1925, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a well-executed Celtic cross.


The land on which the memorial stands was donated by Miss Ellen Flowers, a local resident. Built by Messrs F Blacker and Sons of Clutton, with the masonry work being undertaken by Messrs J A Ford and Sons of Publow. The memorial was unveiled on 11 July 1925 by Colonel the Hon E Strachey and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Bath. After the Second World War the names of those who fell in that conflict were added to the plinth. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2003, funded by War Memorials Trust, including changes to the inscriptions on the memorial.


The memorial, in stone, consists of a Celtic cross decorated with carved Celtic patterns in relief set on a rough-hewn rectangular column with a moulded base, which rises from a rough-hewn square plinth that sits on a two-stepped square base.

An inscription on the front face of the plinth reads 1914 THE GREAT WAR 1918 / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY, followed by a list of those who fell in the First World War, and “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”.

In addition, the right flanking face of the plinth bears an inscription that reads 1939 – 1945, followed by a list of those who fell in the Second World War, and “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS”. The inscriptions are attached in lead lettering.

A low curved wall surrounds the front of the memorial, whilst a higher curved wall surrounds the back of the memorial. A square plaque on the back wall reads SITE / PRESENTED BY / MISS ELLEN FLOWERS.


War Memorials Online, accessed 29/05/2015 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 29/05/2015 from
War Memorials Trust , accessed 29/05/2015 from
Western Daily Press, Bristol, 13 July 1925


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].