Crockett's Leathercloth Works War Memorial


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Junction of Abbey Road and Mitre Road, West Ham, London, E15 3JZ


Ordnance survey map of Crockett's Leathercloth Works War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1430693.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 22:58:36.


Statutory Address:
Junction of Abbey Road and Mitre Road, West Ham, London, E15 3JZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Newham (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


First World War memorial, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Crockett’s Leathercloth Works War Memorial, situated on Abbey Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the staff of the company, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a substantial and imposing Classical monument including a well-sculpted lion.


The Crockett International Leather Cloth Company, operating from Newark, New Jersey (USA) and West Ham, London (England), manufactured artificial leather and other textiles at its factory on Abbey Road from 1855. As The Leather Cloth Co Ltd, it continued to produce cloth until the works were shut down in 1961. In common with other businesses, following the First World War the firm raised a memorial to commemorate those staff that died during the conflict. This stood within the factory premises, c100m to the north of its present position, on a triangle of lawn enclosed by railings. Alongside 15 members of staff, the memorial also names Comte Robert de Lesseps (d1916), a pioneer aviator and cavalryman whose connection with the company is unclear.

Following the Second World War, the names of 10 members of staff who died during that conflict were added to the memorial. These include four civilians, two of whom are women, who died as a result of enemy action. When the factory closed and was demolished the memorial was moved to its current position, at what had been the southernmost part of the premises.


In its original position in the Leathercloth Works, this large memorial was raised on two steps and a pavement, and included round stone balls at each corner of the pavement. In its new position on Abbey Road it stands on a Portland stone pavement but without the steps and balls.

The memorial comprises a rectangular Portland stone pylon with an outsailing cornice, on a moulded base. The cornice bears a two-stepped base carrying a carved lion couchant, looking out to the north-west. Clasping buttress at each corner of the pylon display dates, carved at the top (1914 1919) and bottom (1939 1945) of the north-east and south-west faces.

The north-east and south-west faces of the pylon each bear a large rectangular panel, slightly raised and suspended from swags with fasces carved in relief. The principal dedication on the south-west face reads IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR FREEDOM 1914 – 1919/ (16 NAMES). On the north-east face the later dedication reads IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ SERVICE AND CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ 1939 – 1945 (10 NAMES).

On the south-west face of the base, a badly eroded inscription reads THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY/ THE DIRECTORS OF THE LEATHER CLOTH COMPANY LTD/ IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL FIGHTING 1914-1919.

The memorial is placed between two large, raised, flowerbeds with three trees in low walled planters behind. These brick-built flowerbeds and planters are not of special interest.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.


Britain From Above , Aerofilms Ltd Collection website record EAW004128, accessed 09/10/2015 from
The Commercial Overprint Society of Great Britain website, record for The Leather Cloth Co Ltd, accessed 09/10/2015 from
War Memorials Online, accessed 17 February 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 February 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].