Horsington War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432250
Date first listed:
09-Feb-2016
Location Description:
Lower Road, Horsington, South Somerset, Somerset

Map

Ordnance survey map of Horsington War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2019 at 14:34:52.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Lower Road, Horsington, South Somerset, Somerset
County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Horsington
National Grid Reference:
ST6983824429

Summary

A stone war memorial cross of 1920s date.

Reasons for Designation

The war memorial at Horsington, Somerset is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a well-crafted cross design in dressed stone; * Intactness: the structure is unaltered; * Group value: it forms an important group with the Grade II listed Horsington School.

History

The war memorial to the fourteen members of Horsington Parish who died in the First World War was erected in the 1920s and is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1930. The names of the eight who fell in the Second World War were added later.

Details

A war memorial cross of 1920s date.

MATERIALS: constructed of stone.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is a freestanding latin cross with a tapering chamfered shaft, square plinth and two-stepped octagonal base. The front face of the plinth is inscribed: IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR 1914 -1918/ (NAMES). The step below is inscribed: 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253636
War Memorials Register, accessed 09/12/2015 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/1376

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].