Summary
First World War memorial with additions for the Second World War, 1920, architect unknown.
Reasons for Designation
Sunk Island War Memorial, 1920 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this local community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: it is a dignified monument executed in good quality materials, which provides an elegant and fitting tribute to the fallen of the parish from both World Wars.
History
The Sunk Island War Memorial stands adjacent to the entrance to the former Sunk Island school and school house, and opposite the Church of the Holy Trinity. It was created as a memorial to the three men of the parish who fell during the First World War and also displays a roll of honour of the thirty-two men who joined the colours. The cost of the memorial was raised by subscription and it was built by W P Everingham and Sons Limited, monumental masons of Hedon. Upon completion of the memorial, it was unveiled and dedicated on 3 April 1920 by Colonel R Hall, VD. An additional tablet has since been added to commemorate four men and one woman killed during the Second World War. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2014, with grant aid from the War Memorials Trust; this included replacing the die base in Yorkstone, to the same size, proportion, and profile as the original, cleaning the stonework, re-assembly and re-pointing.
Details
MATERIALS: Yorkstone with granite panels. The Sunk Island War Memorial is situated on the western side of Sunk Island Road, opposite the Church of the Holy Trinity, enclosed to the south by a pre-existing wall and gate pier that forms the entrance to the garden of the school house. The freestanding memorial stands approximately 3m tall, and takes the form of a potent-style cross mounted on a square shaft with chamfered and stopped corners. The cross is raised on a square die base with chamfered and stopped corners, mounted on a two-stepped podium on a square concrete raft foundation. The memorial faces to the east, and a dark grey granite memorial panel dedicated to the fallen of the First World War is attached to the east face of the base. The inscription on the memorial panel reads IN/ GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO DIED/ FOR GOD, KING & EMPIRE/ 1914 - 1919/ (3 NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE. The names of the men from the parish who joined the colours during the First World War are also recorded on a roll of honour, split between two dark grey granite panels attached to the south and north sides of the base. The roles of honour bear the inscription SERVED GOD, KING & EMPIRE/ 1914 - 1919/ followed by a list of names on each side. A secondary canted dark grey granite memorial panel, placed on the first step of the podium, records the fallen from the Second World War. The inscription on this memorial panel reads IN EVER/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945/ (5 NAMES)/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM. The face of the first step of the podium is inscribed with the name of the monumental masons ‘EVERINGHAM HEDON’. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the pre-existing wall and gate post that forms the entrance to the garden of the school house are not of special architectural or historic interest. This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.
Sources
Books and journals Mann, M K (Author), Yorkshire Heros. Volume 1, Journey from Hull to Withernsea around Hornsea and back to Hull again, (1996)Websites War Memorials Online, accessed 1 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/89091 War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/35331 War Memorials Trust, accessed 22 December 2015 from www.warmemorials.org
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
The listed memorial is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed memorial (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed memorial for the purposes of the Act.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry