Walton-on-Thames War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1432721
Date first listed:
08-Feb-2016
Location Description:
Statutory Address:
Memorial Garden, High Street, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, KT12 1BU

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1432721.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jul-2020 at 01:06:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
Memorial Garden, High Street, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, KT12 1BU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
County:
Surrey
District:
Elmbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ1021866188

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921.

Reasons for Designation

Walton-on-Thames War Memorial, which stands in the Memorial Garden at the junction of Ashley Road, High Street, and New Zealand Avenue, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the First World War; * Architectural interest: an elegant and well-executed Classical war memorial.

History

Walton-on-Thames War Memorial was unveiled by Lord Beatty on 8 July 1921, dedicated to 132 servicemen who lost their lives during the First World War. Following the end of the Second World War a general dedication was added for the men, women and children of Walton-on-Thames who lost their lives during that conflict.

In September 2002 two granite plinths were erected in front of the memorial at a cost of almost £20,000, recording the names of those who lost their lives during the Second World War (including civilian casualties). A further inscription was later added to one of these plinths dedicated to a soldier who lost his life in the Iraq War.

Details

DESCRIPTION: The war memorial stands in a small memorial garden at the junction of Ashley Road, High Street, and New Zealand Avenue. It comprises a large stone pier with semi-circular ends standing on a two-stepped base. The plinth’s slightly domed cap, comprising a decorative string course, supports an elaborate achievement of arms carved in stone, painted and gilded. The achievement, on a heavily moulded base, is formed of an arrangement of flags with, to the front, the Royal Arms, and to the rear, a shield displaying the cross of St George. The helm, mantling and crown are rendered in the round.

The lower element of the string course is a frieze bearing the inscription LET • US • NOW • PRAISE • FAMOUS • MEN • THEIR • GLORY • SHALL • NOT • BE • BLOTTED • OUT • THEIR • NAME • LIVETH • FOR •EVER. Five bronze plaques mounted on each face of the plinth, separated by bronze flambeaux, carry the names of the commemorated men.

The inscription on the east flank of the plinth, carved in raised letters within a lozenge, reads SACRED/ TO THE/ MEMORY OF THE/ SOLDIERS & SAILORS/ OF WALTON-ON-THAMES/ WALTON WARD/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918. On the west flank, also carved in raised letters within a lozenge, the inscription reads 1939-1945/ IN/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF ALL THOSE MEN/ WOMEN & CHILDREN/ OF WALTON-ON-THAMES/ WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/ THROUGH ENEMY/ ACTION IN THE/ SECOND/ WORLD/ WAR.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Two granite plinths bearing inscriptions for the Second World War and for Iraq stand in front of the First World War memorial. The memorial garden includes a number of benches and litter bins, and is enclosed to the rear and sides by a low hedge, and a chain carried on posts to the front. These subsidiary features are excluded from this Listing.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
"New war memorial unveiled in Walton", Surrey Comet [online edition], accessed 12/08/2015 from http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/6296966.New_war_memorial_unveiled_in_Walton/
War Memorials Online, accessed 05/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/100571
War Memorials Register, accessed 05/12/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/23550
Other
"Earl Beatty's Appeal", The Sheffield Daily Independent, 11 July 1921, p5
"Reigate Priory Cricket Week", Surrey Mirror and County Post, 15 July 1921, p6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].