The Lee War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433152
Date first listed:
01-Mar-2016
Statutory Address:
The Green, Lee Clump Road, The Lee, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9LZ

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Lee War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433152.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 19:49:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Green, Lee Clump Road, The Lee, Buckinghamshire, HP16 9LZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Chiltern (District Authority)
Parish:
The Lee
National Grid Reference:
SP9003004260

Summary

First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions.

Reasons for Designation

The Lee War Memorial, which stands on The Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an intricately carved wheel-head cross in the Celtic style; * Group value: with a number of Grade II-listed buildings around The Green.

History

The memorial was dedicated and unveiled on 1 January 1921 by the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, Robert Wynn-Carington, Marquis of Lincolnshire. The site had been presented by Lady Liberty and the memorial organised by a committee chaired by Captain Ivor Stewart-Liberty. The cross commemorates 30 local servicemen who died in the First World War, including six pairs of brothers.

Following the Second World War the names of 12 men who died during that conflict were added. A metal plaque was subsequently fixed to the memorial commemorating nine men, named on the cross, who died at Fromelles on 19 July 1916. Soil from their graves was brought back and is buried beneath the plaque.

Details

DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated at the north-eastern corner of the village green, facing Lee Clump Road. It is in the form of the Iona cross, with a slim granite tapering shaft, rectangular in section, surmounted by a wheel-head cross. A rope pattern adorns the arrises of every part of the shaft and cross head. The shaft rises from a shallow, tapering pedestal that stands on a single step of stone blocks, surrounded by a narrow pavement.

Carved interlace decoration adorns the face of the wheel-head cross. The principal dedicatory inscription begins immediately below the wheel-head on the front face, reading TO THE/ GLORY/ OF GOD/ AND IN/ MEMORY OF/ THESE MEN/ OF THE LEE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING &/ COUNTRY/ HEARTH/ & HOME/ FREEDOM/ & HONOUR/ IN BRITAIN'S/ WAR AGAINST/ GERMAN/ CRUELTY &/ AGGRESSION/ (30 NAMES)/ 1914-1919.

The rear face of the shaft bears a sword carved in relief, below which is carved THANKS BE/ TO GOD/ WHICH/ GIVETH/ US THE/ VICTORY/ THROUGH/ OUR LORD/ JESUS/ CHRIST.

The Second World War dedication is carved in low relief on the front face of the pedestal, reading 1939 – 1945 (12 NAMES). A metal plaque on the front face of the step reads NINE MEN FROM THIS VILLAGE WERE SLAIN AT FROMELLES, NORTHERN/ FRANCE ON 19 JULY 1916. THEIR NAMES ARE RECORDED ON THIS WAR/ MEMORIAL AND SOIL FROM THEIR GRAVES IN FRANCE WAS BROUGHT BACK IN/ 2001 AND BURIED BENEATH THIS PLAQUE IN HONOUR AND REMEMBRANCE OF/ THEIR GALLANTRY AND SACRIFICE.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a chain carried on low timber posts forms a boundary at the rear of the monument, with six short posts on the periphery of the green in front of the memorial.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 11 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/115179
War Memorials Register, accessed 01/02/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8140
Other
“The Lee. Unveiling and Dedication of War Memorial”, The Bucks Herald, 8 January 1921, p5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].