Newborough War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433438
Date first listed:
24-Mar-2016
Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Newborough, Peterborough, PE6 7QZ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433438.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:24:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
Churchyard of the Church of St Bartholomew, Newborough, Peterborough, PE6 7QZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Peterborough (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Newborough
National Grid Reference:
TF2036405987

Summary

First World War Memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Newborough War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20.

* Artistic interest: a simple and bold interpretation of a standard cross design, enhanced by the dark green of the wreath against the grey stone.

* Group Value: it has group value with the Church of St Barholomew, listed at Grade II.



History

Newborough War Memorial was made by Messrs John Thompson and Co of Peterborough at a cost of just under £200. It was unveiled by the Marquis of Exeter on the 8 August 1920; a long and detailed account of the dedication ceremony was given in the Peterborough Advertiser on 14 August.

Details

Newborough War Memorial, made by Messrs John Thompson and Co of Peterborough, is prominently placed on the east edge of the churchyard of St Bartholomew, facing onto the street. Metal gates, which form part of the churchyard boundary and are not listed, give direct access from the pavement to the memorial, the square base of which is set back slightly from the gates. A square plinth is set at the centre of the base, above which is a bold, plain cross. At the top of the east face is a crown in relief, and immediately below that is a green wreath encircling the words: IN MEMORY OF NEWBOROUGH AND BOROUGH FEN HEROES WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY DURING THE WAR 1914 – 1918. At the base of the cross is an inscription added after the Second World War: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAN TO LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS, below which are the dates 1939 – 1945 followed by 7 names. The 25 names of those who died in the First World War are on the east face of the cross shaft, between the inscriptions for the First and Second World Wars.

Sources

Books and journals
'Newborough's Tribute: unveiling a fine memorial' in Peterborough Advertiser August 14th 1920, (14th August 1920), --
Websites
Northamptonshire Roll of Honour, accessed 12th Feb 2016 from http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Northamptonshire/Newborough.html
War Memorials Register, accessed 12th Feb 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/8433

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building is shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map: a cross standing on a square plinth set on a square base) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].