East Kirkby War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1433524
Date first listed:
17-Mar-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of Main Road (A155) and Chapel Lane, East Kirkby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23 4DE

Map

Ordnance survey map of East Kirkby War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1433524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:24:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Main Road (A155) and Chapel Lane, East Kirkby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23 4DE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
East Kirkby
National Grid Reference:
TF3341662263

Summary

First World War memorial, 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

East Kirkby War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Chapel Lane and Main Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a tall and ornate memorial cross; * Group value: with East Kirkby Windmill (Grade II).

History

East Kirkby War Memorial was unveiled on 19 October 1919. It was constructed by the local monumental masons Messrs Browning and Sons of Spilsby at a cost of £300. The unveiling followed a memorial service at St Nicholas’ Parish Church, which was attended by around 200 people including service and ex-service personnel, local dignitaries and relatives and friends of those who had died. After a procession to the war memorial, it was unveiled by Colonel TE Sandall DSO CMG TD. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added at a later date.

Details

The memorial stands in an oval paved area defined by a low brick wall with stone capping and wrought iron railings,located at the crossroads in the centre of the village.It is constructed of Portland stone in the form of a spired obelisk with a Celtic cross on the top(similar in design to war memorials by the same masons at Fishtoft and Stickney).The memorial has an octagonal two-stepped base on which stands an octagonal plinth with canted top and carved broach stops.The obelisk is square on plan with round columns against the four corners, each with an elaborate foliate capital, supporting a moulded arch forming a blind arcade to each side of the obelisk. Rising from this is a tapering four sided spire with rope twist decoration to each arris,topped by a foliate capital and a Celtic cross.There is a stone vase set on the base on the southern side of the memorial.The names of those who died in the First World War are inscribed in black lettering on the southern panel of the obelisk,with the names of those who served and returned on the remaining three sides.The principal dedicatory inscription reads TO THE/GLORY OF GOD/AND IN LOVING/MEMORY OF THOSE/WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/IN THE GREAT EUROPEAN WAR/1914-1918/KILLED IN ACTION/(EIGHT NAMES).Beneath this is inscribed 1935-1945 with two names listed below.At the base of the panel is inscribed THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED BY/THE PARISHIONERS OF EAST KIRKBY/AND HAGNABY.The remaining panels are inscribed TO THE LASTING/HONOUR OF THOSE/WHO SERVED/1914-1918(NAMES).

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online.This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading,23 January 2017.

Sources

Books and journals
Credland, M, The First World War Memorials of Lincolnshire, (2014), 20, 79
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/208299
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 February 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/20349

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].