First World War memorial, 1923.
Reasons for Designation
Blyth First World War Memorial, which stands in Ridley Park, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an imposing war memorial, loosely based on Sir Edwin Lutyens’ Whitehall Cenotaph.
The First World War memorial for the town of Blyth, including New Delaval, Newsham, Bebside and Cowpen, was erected outside the Knight Memorial Hospital on Beaconsfield Street. It was unveiled on 17 November 1923 by the Duke of Northumberland and dedicated by Reverend A Tuson, Vicar of Blyth, in commemoration of 637 servicemen who died in the First World War.
Designed by the Borough Surveyor, Mr Leiper, and built by T and G Cocks of Blyth, the memorial cost £2,000, raised by public subscription. The memorial was moved to its location in Ridley Park in 1950.
The memorial stands at the north-western entrance to Ridley Park, alongside the Boer War and Second World War memorials. It comprises a granite pylon, c 4m tall, raised on a large base and two shallow steps. Loosely modelled on Sir Edwin Lutyens’ Whitehall Cenotaph, the plyon dies back in three stages. A wreath is carved in relief on the middle stage whilst the lower stage bears bronze name plaques on three sides.
The principal dedicatory inscription is carved into the granite of the base, reading 1914 – 1918/ IN REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF BLYTH WHO ENDURED GREAT HARDSHIPS,/ ACHIEVED GLORIOUS DEEDS, AND DIED FOR FREEDOM/ AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 July 2017.