First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Shorne War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the church of St Peter and St Paul, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant war memorial cross;
* Group value: with the church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*).
Shorne War Memorial, raised in the churchyard, was designed by Reginald Hallward, and was built by Messrs Tomes. Hallward and his wife were regular worshippers in the parish church. The memorial was dedicated on 21 March 1920 by Reverend Cecil Edward Marsh MA, who was the Vicar of Shorne from 1901 to 1920. It was unveiled by the former Chief of the War Staff, Admiral Frederick Charles Doveton Sturdee KCMG GCB. Commemorating 21 local servicemen who fell in the First World War, it cost £100 and was paid for with donations from the congregation of the parish church.
Following the Second World War a dedication was added to commemorate the 3 men who fell in that conflict. Repairs were carried out around 2009 to repair the cracked base and maintain the stonework.
Reginald Hallward (1858-1948) was an architect and stained glass designer, working in the Arts and Crafts style. He made the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission memorial tablets, designed by HP Cart de Lafontaine, that were erected in French and Belgian cathedrals marking the British Empire’s sacrifice in the First World War. He is most noted for his prolific work in stained glass, including many windows for public buildings and churches such as his 18 lights for the American Military Cemetery Chapel, Brookwood (1920, Grade II), and his Pilgrim’s Progress windows in the War Memorial Chapel of Chigwell Grammar School (1924).
The memorial stands within the graveyard of the church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*), just inside the gate to the north of the church. It comprises a small stone wheel-head cross botonée, standing on a tapering octagonal shaft. That stands on the shallow out-sailing cornice of a stone plinth, square on plan. The whole stands on a three-stepped stone base.
Four opposing sides of the cross shaft are ornamented with 12 shields carved in relief, three to each side (one at the top, one half way down and one just above the plinth). Nine are blank, whilst the three shields to the front are carved in low relief (top) PRO/ DEO, (middle) the Kent County arms, (bottom) PRO/ PATRIA above a rosette.
The front face of the plinth bears the principle dedicatory inscription TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ WHO MADE THE SUPREME/ SACRIFICE IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919/ ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS OF/ SHORNE./ EVER SACRED TO THEIR MEMORY/ AND TO THOSE NAMED BELOW WHO/ FELL IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).
The right face bears the inscription THE STRIFE IS O’ER/ (7 NAMES). The rear face bears the inscription THE BATTLE DONE/ (7 NAMES). The left face bears the inscription NOW IS THE VICTORS TRIUMPH WON/ (7 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.