Ainsdale War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1436600
Date first listed:
31-Aug-2016
Statutory Address:
Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, Sefton, Merseyside, PR8

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436600.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 18:04:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, Sefton, Merseyside, PR8

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD3169012151

Summary

First World War memorial by architect Herbert Langman, unveiled 27 November 1920.

Reasons for Designation

Ainsdale War Memorial, unveiled 27 November 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an elegant Celtic-style wheel-head cross with carved decorative details.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Ainsdale as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. The land for the memorial was given by Mr Weld-Blundell and the memorial was made and erected by Mr W Calland of Birkdale to the designs prepared by architect Herbert Langman of Southport. It was unveiled on 27 November 1920 by Lieutenant Colonel White, MP and it commemorates 42 men of Ainsdale who lost their lives in the First World War.

A dedication to those who fell in the Second World War was added at a later date.

In 2012 the memorial was conserved with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.

Details

MATERIALS: Stoke Hall stone.

DESCRIPTION: Ainsdale War Memorial consists of a Celtic-style wheel-head cross set on a tapering shaft and decorated with carved interlacing knot work in relief on both sides. On the horizontal arms of the cross on both sides are inscribed with the dates: 1914-1919. The cross rises from a tapering square plinth set on a three-stepped base. The inscriptions are all in lead lettering.

On the rear of the plinth is the following: TRUE LOVE/ BY LIFE -/ TRUE LOVE/ BY DEATH -/ IS TRIED;/ LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED.

On the remaining three sides of the plinth are the names of the fallen from the First World War, arranged in alphabetical order and preceded by 1914-1918. On the step at the top of the plinth prior to the first list of names is inscribed: REMEMBER.

An inscription on the top two steps of the base reads: GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS,/ AS A MARK OF RESPECT AND AFFECTION.

A later dedication can be found at the bottom of the shaft on the rear face and reads: IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ IN THE SECOND/ WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.

The lower step carries further names of the fallen from the First World War as well as those from the Second World War and from later conflicts.

The memorial is set within a paved enclosure bounded by low dry-stone walls with stone capping and furnished with stone pillars and an iron gate at its entrance.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].