Greatham War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Greatham War Memorial
List entry Number: 1437141
Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, Parish Row, Greatham, County Durham, TS25 2HW
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 18-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Greatham War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*).
Greatham War Memorial was unveiled on 16 July 1922 by the Archdeacon of Auckland. It commemorates 13 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The memorial cost £140, raised by public subscription. Following the Second World War a further 13 names were added of the fallen from that conflict.
The memorial stands in the NE corner of the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*-listed). It takes the form of a granite Celtic cross with a reversed sword carved in low relief on the front face. The cross stands on a tapering plinth, rectangular on plan.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ “WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.”/ (13 NAMES). The Second World War dedication to the right face of the plinth reads 1939 – 45/ (13 NAMES)/ WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.
The memorial stands within an octagonal gravelled area, defined by a low stone kerb and approached by a rake of stone steps leading up from the path to the north. The steps are flanked by dwarf walls with flat stone coping and ball finials.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 28 June 2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7380
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/238162
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9375
National Grid Reference: NZ4926427536
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437141 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 09:40:51.
End of official listing