Redlynch War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1437469
Date first listed:
31-Aug-2016
Statutory Address:
Quavey Road, Redlynch, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP5 2HH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1437469.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 01:11:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
Quavey Road, Redlynch, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP5 2HH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Redlynch
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU2043620724

Summary

First World War memorial, unveiled on 19 July 1919, with further names added after the Second World War and later conflicts.

Reasons for Designation

Redynch War Memorial, unveiled 19 July 1919, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a shelter or shrine in Tudoresque style displaying a high level of craftsmanship and good quality materials.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Quavey, Redlynch as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who served in the First World War.

The memorial was presented to the parish of Redlynch in 19 July 1919 by George and William Eyre Matcham. Captain George Eyre Matcham had served with the 3rd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment from 1915 to 1919 and Colonel William Eyre Matcham had served as Deputy Director of Remounts throughout the war. 

The memorial was dedicated on Peace Day 19 July 1919 by the Reverend A C Muller. 

The shrine has been renovated on several occasions and other names have been added to the roll of honour commemorating those who fell in the Second World War and in later conflicts.

Details

MATERIALS: brick and oak.

EXTERIOR: the memorial takes the form of an open shelter or shrine with red brick back and sides. Situated on a paved base, the memorial is in a Tudoresque style with a gabled oak roof with decorative oak supports and a tiled roof covering. The open front is protected with a timber picket fence and gate.

INTERIOR: an integral brick ledge is located at the back which would have been used for wreaths. A timber triptych panel, inscribed with the roll of honour of both world wars and other conflicts in gold lettering with a gold cross, hangs on the back wall.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.

Sources

Websites
New Forest Remembers, accessed 6 July 2016 from http://www.newforestheritage.org/village-war-memorials-in-the-parish-of-redlynch/
War Memorials Online, accessed 16/12/2016 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/215809
War Memorials Register, accessed 06/07/2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/50965

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].