Old Cleeve War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438117
Date first listed:
18-Oct-2016
Location Description:
On the north side of the A39 near Dragon Cross, Old Cleeve, West Somerset, Somerset

Map

Ordnance survey map of Old Cleeve War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 08:19:16.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
On the north side of the A39 near Dragon Cross, Old Cleeve, West Somerset, Somerset
County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Old Cleeve
National Grid Reference:
ST0373240962

Summary

A war memorial dedicated on 18 April 1920 to commemorate and honour the men of Old Cleeve parish who lost their lives and those who suffered with them whilst serving their country during the First World War and the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Old Cleeve War Memorial, West Somerset, dedicated on 18 April 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial, which takes the form of a Portland stone cross.

History

A war memorial dedicated on 18 April 1920 to commemorate and honour the men of Old Cleeve parish who lost their lives and those who suffered with them whilst serving their country during the First and Second World Wars.

Details

A war memorial dedicated on 18 April 1920 to commemorate and honour the men of Old Cleeve parish who lost their lives and those who suffered with them whilst serving their country during the First and Second World Wars.

The monument comprises a circa 5m high Latin cross in Portland stone set on an irregular stone base. It has a bronze sword of sacrifice on its front face. Its design appears to have been influenced by Reginald Blomfield's Cross of Sacrifice of 1918 for the Imperial War Graves Commission, which is similar.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 15 March 2017.

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 15 March 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/24657

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].