War Memorial Lych Gate

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1438247

Date first listed: 18-Oct-2016

Location Description:

Statutory Address: Entrance to former Church of St Mary, Charlynch, Spaxton, Somerset, TA5 1BL

Map

Ordnance survey map of War Memorial Lych Gate
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 19:40:33.

Location

Statutory Address: Entrance to former Church of St Mary, Charlynch, Spaxton, Somerset, TA5 1BL

Location Description:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Spaxton

National Grid Reference: ST2381837799

Summary

A churchyard lych gate, erected c1945.

Reasons for Designation

The memorial lych gate in Charlynch is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community during the Second World War; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised memorial which takes the form of a churchyard lych gate; * Group value: with the Church of St Mary which is listed at Grade I.

History

The lych gate at the entrance to St Mary’s Church in Charlynch was erected in 1945 in thanksgiving for the end of the Second World War. The church itself closed and was deconsecrated in the late C20.

Details

A churchyard lych gate, erected c1945.

MATERIALS: timber-frame construction with a plain tiled roof and stone rubble flank walls to its lower body.

DESCRIPTION: the lych gate is situated to the SW of the former Church of St Mary (closed in 1981). The timber superstructure has square corner uprights which rest on the stone flank walls. The W and E gabled ends are similar, with arched braces to the corner posts which support slender tie beams. The roof comprises king post trusses, angled struts and queen posts. The tie beam to the W gabled end has the inscription 1939 ERECTED BY THE PARISH AS A THANKSGIVING 1945, and the eastern tie beam is inscribed HE BROUGHT THEM OUT SAFELY. There is a pair of low wooden gates to the W gabled end, and there are freestanding wooden benches inside the lych gate.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.

Sources

Websites
The Somerset Historic Environment Record. 17654: War memorial lych gate, Church of St Mary, Charlynch, accessed 1 August 2016 from http://www.somersetheritage.org.uk/record/10177#
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253798
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 June 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/46321

End of official listing